Friday, February 3, 2012

1980 Suzuki GS 550 L has no midrange power?

I have a 1980 Suzuki GS 550 L as my winter project. First thing I did was clean tank out and kreem it with tank liner. Then rebuild the carburetors top and bottom end of the carbs. I soaked thejets in carb cleaner and blew them out with compressed air. Got everything back together again. Bike started but has no midrange power if I twist the throttle fast it hesitates. And when the rpm's do get up and I let go the throttle the rpm slowly come back down.


Please take out your spark plugs and check their electrode condition. If they are black then you have a very rich mixture. That could be a faulty ignition spark (weak) or clogged airway in the air filter housing. Also check the carb's needles if they are adjustable in height, pute them in the middle scale. I believe when you were cleaning the carbs, you took out the pilot screw and the idle jet and cleaned that circuit thoroughly.
If they are white then your mixture is lean (probably your intake system sucks extra air from the intake collars where you plug the carbs on to the cylinder head or from the collars that connects the carbs to the air filter housing)


Also check the muffler bearing.


No comments:

Post a Comment